Hey there friends. HAPPY NEW YEAR! It’s kind of hard to believe that the holidays have come and gone. I don’t know why I am surprised by the quickness of it every year. But, I am…every year…
So, here we are already 3 days into 2017. I am just now getting around to my first post of the new year. I had house guests for 5 days and sitting at my computer just wasn’t on the agenda. The last 5 days were all about family, food, fun, and yes, late nights. Today when I finally took some time to see what’s been going on out there in “Facebook and Instagram Land” I saw how many people had already started a running routine, a yoga challenge, juicing, and making resolutions, among other things. Boy, am I feeling late to the game!
*The early Babylonians believed that what people did on the first day of the year affected what they did for the rest of the year*
Oh crap! If that were true I’d be sipping champagne every afternoon while cooking our traditional New Year’s Day meal of corned beef, cabbage, and black eyed peas.
So, I am not really a New Year resolutions kind of person, as resolutions often are abandoned within weeks of making them. But, I am definitely a goal setter, and a setter of intentions. And the start of a new year is always a great time to start fresh, to set one’s intentions, to create happiness in a New Year AND to live a life that is SIMPLY HAPPY!
Whatever you want to call it, I am excited to kick off 2017 with some resolutions, goals, and commitments of my own now that I have time to really reflect and think about the shiny new year that we have been blessed with. IT’S NOT TOO LATE! Actually, any day is a great day to resolve to do and be better.
Here are some of the goals, (in no particular order), that I would like to accomplish. Mostly simple things. Nothing really “out of the box” here, but things that mean something to me at this particular day and time. As you see, some are physical, tangible things, while others are more mental and spiritual for me.
(1) Exercise 4 to 5 days a week instead of just my usual 3!
(2) Add yoga to my weekly workouts – need to stay flexible 🙂 in my 40’s.
(3) Journal more. Journal with my kids.
(4) Stay away from gluten! It’s terrible for me!
(5) Meditate. Find inner peace. I love the Headspace app for guided meditation!
(6) Don’t worry so much! Enjoy every day! Laugh more!
(7) Make the To Be Simply Happy blog the best it can be! Become a better writer.
What about tips for setting and keeping your resolutions, goals, and commitments:
(1) Your goals should be specific. Vague goals do not work. Map out your strategy. For instance, if you want to lose weight, target a specific number of pounds, then set mini-goals and the dates on which you aim to accomplish them.
(2) Make your goals public. Share with friends and family for accountability.
(3) Similarly, create a vision board that you will see everyday. Research shows that they actually work. Creating a space that displays what you want actually does bring it to life. What we focus on expands. When you create a vision board and place it in a space where you see it often, you essentially end up doing short visualization exercises throughout the day. Honestly, I think this may be one of the most important aspects of goal setting. It’s easy to literally lose sight of your goals. Having them in a place that you will see them everyday will help! Grab some magazines and start cutting out images and words that speak to you and relate to the goals you would like to accomplish. Paste them on a board of some kind and place it in your home office or another space in your home.
(4) Prioritize your list of resolutions and identify 2 to 3 specific goals you want to focus on immediately. Be realistic about what you can tackle at once. If you try to do too much, you may be setting yourself up for failure and quitting. Everything does not have to be accomplished at once, but stay focused.
(5) Remain flexible. Expect that there will be changes along the way in some form or another. Life changes. Priorities change. Go with the flow, but keep your eyes on the goals you want to achieve.
So, what have you resolved to do in 2017? Have you already started making positive changes? Please feel free to share in the comments section below.
Even though the beginning of a new year seems to be the most popular time to initiate change, don’t get down on yourself for not starting right away. Start any day! And, if you have a misstep, dust yourself off and start again!
So, go on! Start living a life that will make you SIMPLY HAPPY!