Is it really true? Did October just fly by and now we find ourselves in November already?! You know what that means. HOLIDAYS! The most wonderful time of year 🙂 It’s time to start decorating the house, entertaining guests, going to parties, shopping, and traveling among other things! All while we juggle our usual day to day activities that are already jam packed. Don’t get me wrong, I LOVE THIS TIME OF YEAR!! But, I’m not always the best at managing my time in the most productive of ways when there are so many things to juggle. And, what about enjoying the holiday season? Enjoying the holiday season, not just getting through it, is so important.
Ever wish you could have the gift of time management before all the festivities get underway? LOOK NO FURTHER!
I’ve enlisted the help of my new friend Jessica Modad. I met Jessica through a networking group I’m part of here in Houston called Women Helping Women Network. Jessica is a strategic life and productivity coach and is going to share her top tips on enjoying, not just surviving, the holiday season in a balanced manner.
So, here’s the lovely Jessica to share her tips.
Oh boy! Angela, I hear you and I am here for you and your fabulous readers.
Hi! I’m Jessica, a strategic life and productivity coach in Houston. (www.jessicamodad.com)
These are just a few things that I’ve heard from clients and workshop participants over the years when it comes to the “the most wonderful time of the year.”
Some of these same words came out of my mouth a few years ago.
Let me take you back to 2007 I was unloading the car PACKED with gifts from our family members for our children. Exhausted. Hangry, overwhelmed, and then a sick feeling came over me..Is this what my kids will expect from the holidays year after year?!
Enough was enough. The next year we had a family meeting, and took one baby step toward a kinder, gentler holiday season, which included slowing down, taking care of each other, and the brilliance of handmade gifts. No more overcommitted schedules, or holiday frenzy. After changing just one thing our lives were altered, forever.
I want the same for YOU.
STOP whatever you are doing.
Take a breath. Now, imagine making a new choice. A new decision about how you approach the holiday hustle. Give yourself permission to re-label December’s festivities as: fun, easy, relaxing, peaceful, joyful, comfortable, or dare we say, luxurious?
Here are 6 ideas to get the party started:
- Redefine the Hustle – Create a plan for how you want to feel and what really matters this year…what did you love about last year? What could you have done without? Take 10-15minutes answering these questions and save your self a ton of TIME, MULLAH, and ENERGY. Need a little help getting started? Head over to jessicamodad.com and download your free Make it Matter quick start guide.
- Get Cozy with Your Calendar – There are things that you have probable already committed to or invitations that you know about and have not put on the calendar. Its time to face the music. If something is not aligned with your new holiday vision, politely decline or say “No”. When presented with opportunities to gather and make merry, refer to your calendar. First.
- Rethink Gift Giving – During the holiday this is one area that can quickly get out of hand. With teachers, siblings, aunts, uncles, co-workers, in-laws and hostesses its no wonder last year Americans adults spent over $800 on average when it came to gift giving last year according to the National Retail Federation, and this year sales are projected to “increase a solid 3.6 percent to $655.8 billion” That doesn’t even include auto, gasoline, and restaurant sales, yikes!
- Don’t go at it alone – Start recruiting your support system now. With all the jobs to be completed… shopping, decorating, gift wrapping, house cleaning, fetching last items from the grocery, and ferrying out of town guest to and from the airport its no wonder we are exhausted, overwhelmed, frazzled and ready to explode by the time holiday festivities come around. Call on your friends, spouses, kids, college students or outside help to assist as you tackle all of those important jobs.
- Create Blackout Dates and Times – Just like the airlines, you have the right to make certain days or times of the day off limits for commitments. Trust me, if you only change one thing this year, give yourself and your family the gift of commitment-free downtime. One word of warning…protect these dates with your life. I promise, you will be tempted to fill them…don’t. Then, watch the magic happen.
- Have FUN! I don’t think this last tip needs an explanation, haha!
Phew! That can seem like a lot to do. Take a moment and play with just ONE thing. Get your family involved and see what shifts happen this year.
And, as always, I am here to help and support each of you. Find me easily at jessicamodad.com.
I’m curious…what’s one thing you do that makes your holiday run smoothly?
Wow! What great words of advice Jessica has just given us! I think we can all implement a few, if not all, of Jessica’s tips this holiday season. I know I’m going to try. So, if I tell you “no” to something in the next 60 days you’ll know why. It’s not you, it’s me 😉 just trying to find some balance in a hectic holiday schedule…
XOXO – Angela