How lucky are we that my in-laws have such nice neighbors in John and Barbara, or “Babs” as she likes to be called – cute! My in-laws recently moved to Juvignac, a small villa in the Sud de la France (South of France); they haven’t been here long but seem to have been blessed with neighbors that have been equally inviting as they are fun!
Our first night here John and Babs came to share in an aperitif (for those not familiar with what that is, it is a common tradition in France to enjoy appetizers and spirits BEFORE you even begin dinner … And oftentimes inviting a friend, or two, over for conversation and drinks is a common affair.). The conversation and merriment went so well with John and Babs that they left the aperitif inviting us over the following tonight for dinner – how awesome was this!
So … The time came to get ready for dinner and I was in a state of trying to figure out what is the right ensemble that had a hint of French to it … Casual and comfortable, but not insulting to the dinner’s ambiance. I found it!
And … Not only have I found the outfit, but I also realized what a great one it would be for the upcoming celebrations of July 4th and Bastille Day (France’s celebration of their independence on July 14th)!
- Light, White Sweater with Blue Stripes. The sweater was a must have on my packing list because it gets a little chilly in the evenings in France, much like California. The Bordeaux region really brought out the white and blue stripe design to mainstream, and I knew this sweater would offer occasion for many mix-and-match outfits, while keeping a function of keeping this Texas girl warm in the evening dinners!
- White Capri Shorts. Apparently it’s been warmer than usual here and the dinner will be outside, on the terrace overlooking the golf course. Knowing the menu in advance (homemade pizza, with salad and breadsticks), I knew tasteful casual wear was going to a good selection. You can’t go wrong with cute Capri shorts, and they didn’t disappoint when putting this outfit together. They are comfortable and presentable.
- Red and White Scarf. My mother-in-law taught me many years ago that having a scarf in hand always offers an immediate relief should you get cold, and it adds a touch of elegance to your ensemble. Therefore, I know I couldn’t go wrong with adding a little red and white color to my outfit … Now I’m in the colors of America, France, and England … Nationalities of all parties at the dinner 🙂
- Red Tennis Shoes. I fell in love with these adorable red, comfortable tennis shoes the minute I saw them at DSW before leaving for vacation. They are subtle enough not to be too big on my narrow feet, and Lacoste is the brand of the French! They were the right pop of color my outfit could use should I opt not to wear the scarf 🙂
Where You Can Find This Outfit.
- White Sweater with Blue Stripes: Madewell (In season)
- White or Khaki Capri Shorts: GAP (In season)
- Red and White Scarf: Charming Charlie (I got this particular piece two years ago, but I have been seeing many like scarfs in season, so have fun with your design choice!)
- Red Tennis Shoes: Lacoste (In season) … Psst – I bought these at DSW if you want to check them out there, too!