Hi friends! It’s the first day of the to be Simply Happy blog and it’s also National Wine Day!! Woo hoo! Though not a connoisseur, I have a little, ok, maybe a lot of expertise in this area. Those who know me know I love wine!
So, for the technical information. Stay with me people. There’s not much… National Wine Day is celebrated every year on May 25th. Like we need an excuse to drink wine!! National Wine Day is the lesser known “wine holiday” of two. I guess you could say National Wine Day is the younger sister of National “Drink” Wine Day celebrated in February. But, the to be Simply Happy blog wasn’t in existence yet so, I’m running with this one 😉
Really, that’s about it for National Wine Day. But before I go, I’ll share a few wine facts with you that I found on wiine.me:
(1) Drinking wine can improve your sex life! This is perhaps one of the most amazing facts about wine. When drunk regularly it can actually help you boost your sex drive! An Italian study (those amorous Italians) showed that women who have 2 glasses of wine daily enjoy physical pleasure much more intensely than women who do not drink wine at all. So, tell your hubby your monthly wine expenditures will benefit him too 😉
(2) Can you guess who the biggest wine consumers in the world are? Well, while Italy is the world’s biggest wine producer, Italians are only #4 on the wine consumers list surpassed by France and Portugal. When it comes to the US, the biggest consumers are California, New York and Florida. Apparently those senior citizens like to drink!
(3) Not every wine improves your health. Red wines are known to contain many beneficial antioxidants such as polyphenol and resveratrol that have cardio-protective effects and anti-cancer properties. Grape skin is especially rich in antioxidants. Since red wine is fermented together with its skin, it has more antioxidants than white wine which is processed without its skin.
(4) The color of the wine tells you about its geographical origin. You can tell by the color of the wine the region and climate where the grape vine is located. Darker shades of wine, namely the darkest reds and yellow whites come from warm climates. Lighter colors come from cooler climates and taste lighter and less lush.
(5) Wine was discovered about 6,000 years ago! The earliest remnants of wine were discovered in Iran.
(6) There are folks that are afraid of wine (gasp)! Amazingly, there are people around the world who hate wine and there’s even a name for it. It’s called “oenophobia”. I personally have “novinophobia”!!
(7) Wine doesn’t make you fat! While beer makes that unaesthetic beer belly, wine does not affect your waistline at all. Pour me another glass! In fact, recent studies showed that “women who routinely drank moderate amounts of alcohol, totaling about 1 drink per day, carried almost 10 pounds less body fat than women who did not drink at all.” Experts believe that the calories in alcohol are not metabolized in the same way as calories from carbohydrates, fats or protein. So, if you are about to start a diet to lose weight, then you should consider having a glass of wine instead of chocolate cake for dessert!
So, enjoy that glass, or 2, of wine today! And, if you do, take a picture and post on Instagram with #tobesimplyhappy. Or comment below on what your favorite wine is.
Bridgette and I will be toasting to the official launch of the to be Simply Happy blog! Though we are choosing to go with champagne on this special day! Cheers!